f

Sunday, May 1, 2016

Eating For Your Future/Stuffed Bell Peppers

About eight years ago, my husband and I were invited to a destination wedding in Ireland. The wedding was lovely and magical, just as a wedding should be. And yes, they are still married :) 
After the wedding we decided to continue our stay in Ireland and do a bit of touring. Saw lots of castles, the beautiful seashore, and of course the rolling green hills. Finding a vegetarian meal could be a bit difficult, but I managed. One night, we ate at a restaurant that served stuffed bell peppers. They were vegetarian, and really delicious! So I decided to come home and work on the recipe until I had something I really liked.


I begin by sauteing onions and celery. I then add minced garlic, a shredded carrot, chopped kale, and chick peas. 
 

I then add brown rice and a can of fire roasted diced tomatoes. The mixture simmers while the peppers boil in water for a few minutes.


Just before I stuff the peppers, I add crumbled feta cheese and mix well.


I then pack the peppers and do my best to match the lids ;)


And then, probably horror of horrors to some of you, I fill the hole of the lid with ketchup. I really like the ketchup! Of course, you could omit it all together, or use tomato sauce if your prefer.


Vegetarian Stuffed Bell Peppers

6 green bell peppers
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion diced
1 large stalk celery diced
1 large clove of garlic minced
1 large carrot shredded
1 packed cup chopped kale
1 15 oz. can chick peas drained and rinsed
1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
1 28 oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese

Bring a large pot of salted water to boil.
While waiting for the water to boil, heat the oil in a large pan. 
Add onion and celery and cook until tender. 
Add garlic, shredded carrot, chick peas, and chopped kale. Continue to cook until kale has withered.
Add cooked brown rice, tomatoes, and dried oregano. Stir well and allow the mixture to simmer while preparing the peppers.
Once water has come to a boil, add the peppers to the boiling water. Be sure to remove all seeds and stem. Boil for 5 minutes. Remove from the water and drain.
Before stuffing the peppers with the vegetable mixture, add crumbled feta cheese and mix well.
Stuff peppers and place the de-stemmed top on pepper. If you would like, fill the hole with ketchup.
Place peppers in a backing dish, cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake for an additional 15 minutes. Remove from oven, serve and enjoy!


If you would like a vegan form of this recipe, just omit the feta cheese.
This is a great dish to make if you are having vegetarian friends over for dinner. They will be so happy! For your non-vegetarian friends, you can always serve your meat of choice on the side and then everyone is happy :)
Enjoy!
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

8 comments:

  1. We love stuffed peppers at Casa Carroll, and I am going to start using chick peas. Good idea :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chick peas add protein and yet keep it light. I think you'll like it. Really a lovely dish...if I may say so :)

      Delete
  2. Oh I love stuffed bell peppers but completely forgot they were an thing! I used to make them all the time (about 8 years ago - when we lived in England of all places) - and stuff them with all kinds of things, big butter beans, herbs, tomatoes, and rice. I need to try chickpeas though and make them for my girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quinoa would also make a nice change rather than the rice :)

      Delete
  3. The touch of catsup is the Midwesterner in you. As an Indiana girl, it makes sense to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must be a Texas thing as well. My grandmother always topped her meat loaf as well as stuffed peppers with ketchup :)

      Delete