f

Wednesday, January 6, 2016

A Few Words On Wednesday


Don't let your fears get in the way of your dreams.
Don't let your fears get in the way of what God dreams for you.
                                                                                                                     Chuck Swindoll

I just recently began reading a very interesting book entitled, "Wishcraft, How To Get What You Really Want," by Barbara Sher. She begins by talking about the fact that as small children we all knew what we wanted and and we had no inhibitions about going after what we wanted. We dreamed and believed for a time that we could be and do just about anything. But within a few years, around the time we start school, it all begins to change. She gives this very interesting comparison of humans and plants to show us how our environment plays such a huge role in where we find ourselves as adults. 

"If a seed is given good soil and plenty of water and sun, it doesn't have to try to unfold. It doesn't need self-confidence or self discipline or perseverance. It just unfolds. As a matter of fact, it can't help unfolding.
If a seed has to grow with a rock on top of it, or in deep shade, or without enough water, it won't unfold into a healthy full-sized plant. It will try...hard...because the drive to become what you are meant to be is incredibly powerful. But at best, it will become a sort of ghost of what it could be: pale, undersized, drooping. 
In the age of ecology, we ourselves are the only creatures we would ever expect to flourish in an environment that does not give us what we need! We wouldn't order a spider to spin an exquisite web in empty space, or a seed to sprout on a bare desk top. And yet that is what we tend to demand of ourselves." 

The book is not about making excuses for what we have not obtained in our lives, or placing blame on our parents, but rather a road map to get you back to truly knowing what you want for your life, re-discovering your dreams, and your true destiny. 
In the second chapter, she asks the reader 7 questions. The answers are a simple yes or no. For me, every answer was no. She then asks you to think about how your life would look had the answers all been yes. It can be a rather painful look back. 
I went to sleep last night thinking about what I had read, and when I awoke this morning, I had a very different perspective. We have all had trauma, disappointment and tragedy in our lives. It's all a part of what makes us who we are today. But think about a plant that is finally given the nourishment and care that it needs, it will grow strong and become the plant that it was always destined to be. I think the same can be said for us. The good news is that we can give ourselves the nourishment we need.  
The book that lead me to "Wishcraft," was "Write It Down, Make It Happen," by Henriette Anne Klauser. In her book, she talks about the power of writing down our dreams, and writing in detail what the realization of the dream could mean in our lives. I just recently finished the book and I highly recommend it.
If you decide to read the books, just remember, it's not about just dreaming or wishing. While dreaming and wishing or a starting point, it takes work to make your dreams a reality. When I read "Write It Down, Make It Happen," I wrote out my dream list and I review it everyday just as suggested. Some of my dreams are huge, and I'm sure that if I were to share them, some would wonder how I could ever hope to accomplish them. I'm happy to say that I have already been able to strike one off the list. It wasn't huge, but it is something I've wanted to do for a long time, and the feeling of striking something off the list was really empowering. What has been interesting, the more I review the list, the more I am realizing that they can all come to pass.  
As this new year begins.....
Dream  
It's not too late :)

Below is a podcast from Micheal Hyatt that I have found to be 
especially motivating. I hope you enjoy it too.



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

6 comments:

  1. Great Post. I especially like Barbara Sher's comparison. Profound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had thought about saving this for a Sunday Night Reflections post, but I couldn't wait! so glad you liked it.

      Delete
  2. What a brilliant post and thought-provoking. I agree with this 100% and with your comment about the right nourishment. When you don't try then you don't know how things would have turned out if you had. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an eye opening post, and so right about nourishment. It does start with us and a decision to allow the good nourishment in to our life or allow the bad nourishment such as old baggage from the past control us and who are are to be. I have a lot of goals and plans, but it thing writing them down, will make them become a reality instead of talk. Thank you again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have found that writing them down and reviewing them makes such a difference. Good luck on your journey :)

      Delete