f

Monday, September 8, 2014

Pant Drafting Part 2, Taking Measurements

This week's post for the Sew News Clover pant sew along is up and you can find it here. I've also attached the video if you would like to take a look.



In this post you'll see that I use my pant sloper to compare the crotch curve on the sloper to the curve on the Clover pant pattern. Just some small adjustments were made. I use my sloper to make pants, but I also use it as a guide whenever I want to use a commercially drafted pattern. A pant sloper is a great tool to have. So I hope this series of posts will help you achieve a sloper that you'll be happy with.


Moving along with our pant drafting series, we will now take our measurements. My pictures are not the best, but I think you will be able to get an idea of the measurements that you will need.
1. Waist
Be sure to hold the tape measure exactly at your waistline. If you are a little unsure as to where your waistline is, bend to one side. At the bend is your waist. 
2. Hip
So sorry about the fuzzy picture. Be sure to hold the tape measure at the fullest part of your hips. For ease, I place 3 fingers between myself and the tape measure. 
3. Hip Point Length
Measure from your waist to the fullest point of your hip.
4. Crotch Depth
For this measurement, sit on a hard bottom chair. Measure from your waist to the seat of the chair with the tape measure angles slightly forward.
5. Waist to Ankle Length
Hold the tape measure at your waist and measure from waist to ankle bone.
6. Inseam
This one is a little tricky and it is best to have someone take this measurement for you. Measure from your crotch to your ankle bone. Since my husband was taking the picture, I had to do my best, but I think you get the idea. It's not best to bend as I am in the picture.
7. Knee circumference
In a seated position, with knee bent, measure around the knee. 
8. Leg Opening
With toes pointing out, measure around the heel and ankle. Be sure that the tape measure is not so tight that you would not be able to pull your foot through.
In the next post, I will give you the drafting instructions.
Good luck with your measurements!!



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

9 comments:

  1. Since you inspire me to keep sewing in the headlamps, and share your amazing abilities with the world, I wanted to say that I've nominated you for an award. It's called the Very Inspiring Blogger Award. There's buttons all over the internet and you can pick from any of them you like. To find out more about this, if you want to participate, you can go here:

    http://zippiknits.blogspot.com/2014/09/list-of-remaining-ten-most-inspiring.html

    to read about the award, and pick up the button in the side bar if you wish to.

    Thank you for all the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, what a lovely surprise to begin my day with :) Thank you for such lovely words, and for honoring in in such a sweet way.

      Delete
  2. It's great to actually see the measurement process, blurry or not :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry about the blurry pictures, but Sometimes blurry is better than an upset husband ;) It's a new day, so if there is anything that you would like for me to redo, let me know.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing photos of the measurement process. I've always altered patterns to fit, so drafting my own patterns is new to me. I'm looking forward to your pants series. I may just give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Colette pant pattern came in the mail today...yippee!!...just in time to follow along : ) Tomorrow morning, I'll be taking measurements...maybe my hubby will lend a hand; he's a retired Civil Engineer and loves precise measurements and numbers. Do you think??!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh what fun! I am posting the drafting instructions today and tomorrow, so you can take your measurements and then have a little drafting fun.

      Delete
  5. Thank u for showing the measurements. I would not have bent my knee to take that one!

    ReplyDelete