f

Friday, August 1, 2014

Fabulous Free Pattern Friday

It has been quite some time since I've done a geometric project for Friday. About time right?!!
This could not be easier, just 2 rectangles with ties. I used coordinating fabrics, not a border print to create the skirt.
Look closely at the above picture and you will see buttons on either side of my waist. In the picture below, I have turned the button to the center of my waistline.
Simply pinch the skirt it on either side of your waist. Sew in a buttonhole on one side and a button on the other. On either side of the rectangle at the waistline, I stitched on a tie.  
 The skirt can be worn tied in the center, the back or to the side as I have it below. I like it tied to the side the best.
You will need your hip measurement and your desired length to create the rectangle. For the width of the rectangle, divide your hip measurement in half, add 5" on either side of the rectangle. So if your hip measurement is 40", divide that measurement in half which will be 20". Add a total of 10" to 20 and the result will be 30". Cut 2 rectangles,one for the front and one for the back.
As I said earlier in the post, the border is actually a coordinating fabric. The picture below is the back side of my skirt. The seam is where I sewed the border to the coordinating fabric. I cut a 2" wide strip of the contrasting fabric, pressed it under on both sides and then stitched it over the seam where the 2 fabrics were sewn together.
For the hem and the waistline, I also cut a strip of fabric 2" wide. One side was sewn to the edge of the skirt and then pressed over and stitched in place. I did press over the edge on one side before I sewed the strip to the skirt.
Once the skirt is sewn together, you can then determine the length that the ties will need to be. For the ties, I made tubes, turned them to the right side and then topstitched them to the side of the skirt at the waistline as I showed you above.
This skirt is perfect for summer wear. It's easy to sew, you really can't make a mistake. It's easy to wear and it will pack well too.
Good luck if you decide to give it a try!
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

10 comments:

  1. You are so inventive. What a perfect 'throw-on' skirt that is both artistic and stylish. I like your hair wavy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so simple but looks very high-end boutique. I love the fabric.Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, one thing I can say about you is that you are never at a loss of having a project in mind. Lovely skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So clever! How do you think of all these variations on rectangles? However you do, I'm glad you do because it gives us all opportunities to make wonderful, unique things! And making a "fake" border print--fabulous. I'm going to try that one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely. You find great fabrics! This one looks like a firmish cotton. How would it do in a drapey fabric?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cotton I used is not too firm, but does have some body. I think a fabric with some drape would be lovely. Just know that it will cling more to the body.

      Delete
  6. How/where did you find such lovely coordinating fabric?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it at a fabric store in I think La Marque, TX. They specialize in quilt fabrics.

      Delete