f

Saturday, May 3, 2014

Sleeves On Saturdays

The Square Shoulder Sleeve Made Round
A few weeks ago, a friend of mine and I got together to talk about the sleeve that she had made by using the tutorial I did for the sleeve pictured below. You can find the original post here, http://rhondabuss.blogspot.com/2014/03/sleeves-on-saturdays_15.html
The sleeve that I did was exactly like the original Square Shoulder Sleeve with the exception of cutting the pattern apart so that I could manipulate the stripes. My friend asked if it would be okay to round out the center section at the cap. I thought about it and couldn't think of any reason why it shouldn't be done, so I decided to give it a try.
 Below is my sleeve with the cap of the center section rounded off.
 
A close up comparison of the two.
When I initially posted the sleeve, I recommended that you add a small shoulder pad to give a little structure to the top of the sleeve. I started wearing my sleeve without the shoulder pad, only because I wanted to wear the top and I had not gotten around to sewing in the shoulder pads. I'm sure no one else does things like this!!! My friend asked if the center section is rounded would we really need to add the shoulder pad. The shoulder pad holds the shape of the squared aspect of the sleeve and gives  a little more structure to the sleeve. If you would like a softer shape, round the corners as I have done and omit the shoulder pad. I did put a shoulder pad inside the sleeve that I'm showing you today as I don't have a sleeve form to attach to my dress form. The shoulder pad is only intended to mimic the extra width that an arm would give.
Below is the original pattern. 
The side portion of the sleeve will remain the same. The only thing that will change is the center section. Round off the cap area as I have shown below. Once you have drawn in the rounded shape, cut off the pointed edges.   
Once I get the top finished, I'll post it so you can see how the sleeve looks on the body.



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

9 comments:

  1. Pretty top and Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A really fun sleeve, Rhonda, in both versions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Umm. I think I like the rounded version better! And the red stripe conveniently looks like piping on the seam.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I MUST make this sleeve; I'll dig thru the stash for striped fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see right now that I'm going to have sew much fun learning how to sew/draft with all these wonderful patterns. I just love that sleeve and especially the red/white as "365 dresses" said " it looks like piping down the sides" which gives the sleeve a stylish look. It's probably a little premature for me but I just bought a dress form to help with my new craft. I look forward to the interaction with your blog and people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with Mary and Teri. Must try this. So very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Darnit Rhonda, I wished we lived close to one another. I would stalk you continuously. I love love these sleeves and top. My kind of style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you need to plan a trip to Chicago ;)

      Delete