f

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Pillowcases For Mary Bridge, The Final Chapter

Good Morning Everyone!! Last week was quite a whirlwind of a week. My husband and I had planned a trip to Big Sky, Montana. As it turned out, the week I was supposed to be in Montana was the exact same week of the sewing expo in Puyallup, Washington. Thankfully, I was able to do both. Isn't that mountain incredible?!! I actually went all the way to the tip top peak. It was a breath taking experience.
On Friday of last week, I caught a plane out of Bozeman, Montana and flew to Seattle, Wasington where a friend of mine picked me up at the airport. It's always such a treat to have the opportunity to spend time with an old friend.
Saturday morning the two of us made our way to the sewing expo. If you've never had the opportunity to attend, I hope you will as it is an incredible experience. And yes, I did buy fabric. Please don't tell my husband!!! 
When we arrived, I made my way over to the Mary Bridge Children's Hospital booth.
All of our pillowcases were there. They had decided to leave them boxed rather than unpack them and pack them again for their trip to the hospital. 
When I arrived at the booth, I was so surprised to see the tally. As of 3:30 on Saturday afternoon, they had collected over 6000 pillowcases. Over 1000 of these belong to so many of you :) 
I was told that the number of collected pillowcases each year always runs somewhere in the 4000 to 4500 range. I was also told that we were a great inspiration for the project. They said that many people came by the booth and said that they had never donated before, but they saw here on the blog what so many of you did from all over the world, so they too wanted to contribute. The representatives from Mary Bridge said that you made the difference this year. All of you who contributed have so much to be proud of!
Before I left for my trip, I received a note from Andrea of  http://knit-knac.blogspot.com/. She said that she had her pillowcases cut and ready to go and wondered if it was too late to send them. I told her that if she could get them to me before I left, I would gladly take them with me. They made it just in time, so I put them in my suitcase and off we all went. Above is a picture of some of the 10 pillowcases that Andrea made.
Just to prove that I really did make it, here's a picture of me with Mallory, the Mary Bridge representative. When I met her last year, she was a skinny little thing. She is now pregnant with twin boys!!! So wonderful!
On the left is Susan, another representative from Mary Bridge. Wow, are they ever lucky to have her. Such an upbeat lady, so full of joy.
Home and Garden magazine is promoting  a campaign to make and donate 1 million pillowcases. The booth was humming away. I was told that by Saturday afternoon, over 900 pillowcases had been made at the expo.
So our pillowcase journey comes to an end. They have officially been handed over. I didn't cry, for a change ;). It was much too happy of an ending to cry, even for joy. It has been one of the most wonderful experiences of my life. I feel that so many of you have become friends and I so hope that somewhere along the way our paths will cross, but if they don't, please know that you will forever hold a very special place in my heart. 
As we put this project to bed, I'll share one last picture with you. For some reason, my friends enjoy taking pictures of me sleeping. Funny :) A blanket and a comfortable chair is a dangerous place for me!!
Just remember, there is strength in numbers and when we come together, even what seems impossible is possible. From the bottom of my heart, thank you.
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

10 comments:

  1. Wow! Congratulations on achieving your goal. I'm sure it was a long journey, but everything we do as a community is very rewarding at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful story this pillowcase challenge has been. And lucky you to get to go to Puyallup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was very lucky to be able to go. Great experience :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for the pictures and the stories. We should really do it again you know!
    Hugs, Joy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Joy,
      Thanks so much for your contribution to the project!! I need a little time off right now, but in time I'm sure we can come up with a fun project :)

      Delete
  4. I'm going to Puyallup next year. There, I've put it in writing. I've wanted to go for 25 years, so I'm making plans to go next year. This year it is the tulips in Holland. :) Thanks for being part of the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How exciting! I'm sure that the tulips will be an incredible experience. Enjoy!

      Delete
  5. So awesome! Such an uplifting story (the whole process, really, with all the pictures, too). Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete