f

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Sunday's Soup

Some of you may have noticed that I've been missing in action for the last few days. Well, I was back in Denver taping sew along videos for Sew News. It was a lot of fun, but I think I was rather stressed as I now have a lovely cold sore on my upper lip. Isn't it interesting how the body lets us know in no uncertain way that we need to relax at least a bit?!! I listened and spent most of yesterday resting and sleeping. I feel like a new person today :)
I'm cheating a bit, as I did not make the soup that I am sharing with you. After a day at Sew News, I spent the night with a friend who lives near Denver. She hosted a party and made this lovely soup. It was so very good, so I just had to share it with you. It's called Lentil and Escarole Soup, but she changed it up just a bit by using kale rather than escarole, so we will call it
Lentil and Kale Soup
This is not an online soup, but from a magazine chuck full of what looks to be fabulous recipes.  If you would like a copy of this magazine/book, here's a link  http://americastestkitchen.buysub.com/new-releases/cook-s-illustrated-all-time-best-soups-stews-2014-special-issue.html It's quite reasonable, only $9.95. I've already placed my order :)
Ingredients;
1/4 cup of olive oil
1 onion diced
1 carrot, peeled and cut into 1/2" pieces
1 celery rib cut into 1/4" pieces
6 cloves of garlic sliced thin
2 tablespoons of minced fresh parsley
4 cups of chicken broth (if you would like a true vegetarian version, substitute vegetable broth)
3 cups of water
8 ounces of brown lentils picked over and rinsed
1 14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes
2 bay leaves
1 Parmesan cheese rind, plus grated for serving
1 bunch of kale, stems removed and sliced into 1/2" wide strips

Directions;
1. Combine oil, onion, carrot, celery and 3/4 teaspoon of salt in Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened and lightly browned, 17 to 20 minutes. Increase heat to medium high and add broth, water, lentils, tomatoes and their juice, bay leaves and Parmesan rind(my friend did not have one and the soup was still quite delicious) Bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low, cover partially, and simmer until lentils are soft, 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Note; you can put all ingredients in a slow cooker and cook on low all day at this point. Just be sure to saute the vegetables prior to placing in  a slow cooker. This recipe is perfect for a slow cooker.

2. Stir in chopped kale and cook until wilted.(If cooking soup in a slow cooker, add kale with other ingredients and allow to cook all day) Season with salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls, drizzle with a little olive oil and serve. Pass grated Parmesan cheese. Sit back and listed to your guests rave over your delicious soup!!!

This soup would also be lovely served with a side of brown rice. My idea, I do love brown rice ;) Give it a try, I know you'll enjoy. I did!!



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

5 comments:

  1. Relax and recoup from you recent trip and tapings. It is interesting that our bodies do talk to us - scold us sometimes for trying to put them through too much! As my DH sometimes tells me, "Pace yourself."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. Mine tells me the same thing. Only problem is that it tends to go in one ear and out the other. Is this a trait of Texas girls? ;)
      I am being scolded as this cold sore is an ugly little thing!!!

      Delete
  2. I know you did a great job but now it's time to relax and have some fun. Chat with you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope the nasty bugger goes away soon. Maybe it's time for some chicken soup! ;) Glad the taping was fun, but it's always good to be home.

    ReplyDelete