f

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Sunday Brunch


My husband and I are hosting a party this afternoon for our ski club, so no real brunch item today, but I thought I would share this recipe with you. The pickles are called Fire and Ice Pickles. They are so good. A while back, a friend gave us a jar of pickles that were called Fire and Ice Pickles. One taste and we were hooked. The pickles came out everyday for lunch until they were gone. We had to have more. So I got on the computer, looked up the company in the hopes of ordering more but none were listed. So I called the company, the woman said, "Oh, we no longer make those pickles." What?!!! But they are so good! I just had to have more, so I googled the name and to my surprise, up came a slew of recipes and to my surprise, the recipes were so simple. The original recipe came from Food.com. You can see the recipe here. The original recipe says to save the drained liquid from the pickles. I think this is a mistake as there is no reason to save the liquid and all the other recipes I read said to discard the liquid and rinse the pickles. The pickles and the sugar react to each other and create the new liquid.
Refrigerator Fire and Ice Pickles
Ingredients
32 ounces of whole dill pickles(get the cheap kind)
2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons hot sauce, can be adjusted to your own taste
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 garlic cloves, chopped (I just smashed mine and didn't chop them)
1 medium onion thinly sliced (the onion was not in the original jar of pickles that I received, but I love onion so I added it and it does add a nice touch. Leave out if you don't like onions, the pickles will still be great!)

Directions
1. Drain  and rinse pickles. Discard juice
2. Cut pickles into 1/4 inch slices
3. In a large bowl mix pickle slices with all other ingredients
4. Stir well
5. Cover bowl and let stand for 2 hours or over night
6. Stir occasionally
7. Spoon pickle mixture back into original jar
8. Close with original lid from the jar and refrigerate for 1 week before eating.

I made these last Saturday and my husband and I did a test run of the pickles on Friday, a day early. One taste and he told me that I was not sharing these. Hey, they are too easy to make so why not share them. They will be on my buffet table today for sure!
The pickles have a slight sweet taste, the ice. They do have a little kick, the fire, but they really aren't hot. If you like a little kick, you will love these.
Even my little elephant friend can't resist!! 
Wishing you a wonderfully relaxing Sunday!
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

No comments:

Post a Comment