f

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

A Quik and Easy Headband


Since I have allowed my hair to get a little longer, I am always looking for ways to stylishly keep my hair out of my face. The headband that I am wearing is so simple to make, it keeps my hair out of my face and it can be coordinated with all of the outfits that you make. 


Start by cutting a strip of fabric 34 inches long by 7 inches wide. The strip can be cut on the lengthwise or crosswise grain. I have not made one of these with a knit fabric, but if you do, I would use a rather stable knit and cut it on the lengthwise grain. 

Fold your strip in half so that folded your strip is now 3 1/2 inches wide. Fold the corners back as in the above picture and cut the ends on a 45 degree angle.

Your strip will now look like this.


Sew the angled edges with a 1/4 inch seam allowance and the length of your strip with a 1/2 inch seam allowance. Be sure to leave an opening along the lengthwise seam for turning.

 Along side the lengthwise seam, sew another seam just a scant more than a 1/4 inch away from your original seam line. This forms a casing that a wire will be threaded through.


The wire that I found that I felt had the right amount of bend ability is called a doorbell wire and I found it at my local Ace Hardware store. It's sold by the yard (really cheap, it was something like 30cents for a yard). After you have turned your tube to the right side, thread the wire through the casing that you made in the seam allowance.

Close the opening with a few hand stitches.


Your headband will look like this upon completion.


Wrap the band around your head and twist the ends around each other. Continue to twist the ends around...

until a rosette is formed.


So easy to make. The addition of the wire keeps your hair as well as the band very nicely in place.



I just love the way the bands look and they take no more than about 15 minutes to whip up. They make great gifts as well.
Best of luck. Hope you make a bunch.
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

No comments:

Post a Comment